Welcome back, CDS aspirants! You all must be preparing hard to score well in the upcoming exams. As exams are near, one should be aware of CDS 2023 syllabus for strategic preparation. There might be some doubt and confusion regarding the syllabus as CDS is a national-level exam with subjects like English, Elementary Mathematics, and General Awareness.
To clear your doubts and give you a clear image of the CDS syllabus 2023, we will guide you through the subject0wise syllabus for the CDS exam. Candidates can download the pdf or refer to this article, and for any query, contact us.
Table of content
CDS Exam 2023- Overview
|Exam Name||Combined Defense Services Examination|
|Conducting Authority||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Level of Exam||National|
|Frequency of exam||Twice a year|
|Exam duration||Two hours|
|Language of question paper||English and Hindi|
|Application Fee||INR 200/-|
|Exam Purpose||To select candidates as Commissioned Officers in the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force|
|Vacancies||CDS 1: 341CDS 2 2022: 339|
|No of the test cities||41|
CDS syllabus 2023
Union Public Service Commission released the syllabus for CDS 2023 exam with the official notification. The syllabus plays a crucial role in scoring well in tour exams. If a person is aware of his syllabus, he can manage his time well and prepare for the exam in a better way.
The subject includes English, General Awareness, and Mathematics for IAFA, IMA, and INA posts. Candidates applying for OTA posts will get selected based on their knowledge of the UPSC CDS syllabus for General Knowledge and English.
The complete knowledge of the CDS exam syllabus will make the aspirants calculative in formulating an effective plan of action and vision to attempt the exam. The candidates clearing the written exam will appear for the SSC interview.
CDS OTA Syllabus
Combined Defense Services (CDS) take place to recruit eligible candidates for the Indian Naval Academy (INA), Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Air Force Academy (IAFA), and Officers Training Academy (OTA).
The syllabus for CDS OTA consists of two papers – English and General Knowledge with 100 marks each. Candidate has to complete each exam paper within 2 hours. Given below is the detailed subject-wise syllabus for of CDS 2023 exam.
CDS syllabus 2023 – Subject wise
One of the main sections of the CDS exam is General Knowledge, which tests the knowledge of the current happenings in the world. The candidates need to be attentive to the current happening in the world. The questions are from Indian History, Polity, Economics, General Science, etc. Given below is a detailed CDS syllabus 2023 for General Knowledge. Check them out!
- News of international and national importance, conferences, awards, sports-related news, books, authors, etc.
- Fundamental rights,
- Directive principles,
- vital facts of the Indian constitution,
- powers of the Prime Minister and president,
- Indian Judiciary and constitutional bodies.
- Ancient India
- Medieval India
- Modern India
- Five year plan
- Foreign trade
Physics- Force, units, heat, electricity, temperature, optics, motion
Chemistry – Inorganic, organic, physical, and general chemistry.
Biology: diseases, botany, zoology, human biology.
Defense Related News
- Questions can be from topics such as developments of defense forces, Army Day, Navy Day, etc.
CDS English Syllabus
We all know English can get you good scores if you are well-prepared. Many students consider English difficult because there is so much to study, and one hardly gets enough time to prepare for English.
But if we study the essential segments of the CDS syllabus, one can steal good marks in this section.
This section tests the candidates’ grammatical knacks and English Language knowledge. By brushing up on the given topics of the CDS English syllabus, candidates can strengthen their weaknesses and prepare accordingly.
- Sentence Improvement/ Correction
- Reading Comprehension
- Spotting the Errors
- Vocabulary (Synonyms/ Antonyms/ Phrases)
- Fill in the blanks
- Sentence Rearrangement (Jumbled sentences)
CDS Math’s Syllabus
Mathematics always gives tough competition. With topics such as Arithmetic, Trigonometry, Geometry, Mensuration, and Statistics, one needs to practice more.
Mathematics requires consistent practice and dedicated efforts to enhance the preparation and results. Also, candidates need to maintain accuracy and pace to solve questions within the time and get the desired result. Here are the topics of e CDS Math’s syllabus. Check them out!
- Divisibility tests
- Addition, Subtraction, multiplication, division
- Unitary Method,
- Number System (natural, integers, rational & real numbers),
- Theorem of factorization
- Time & Work, Simple & Compound Interest,
- Factors & Multiples
- Elementary number theory
- Time & Distance.
- Ratio & Proportion,
- Laws of algorithm & algorithmic tables
- Profit & loss,
- Composite & prime numbers,
- Euclidean algorithm,
- Basic operations,
- L.C.M. & H.C.F.
- Polynomial theories,
- Laws of indices,
- Set language and set notation,
- Rational Expressions
- Conditional identities
- Quadratic equations (relation between roots & its coefficients),
- Remainder theorem,
- Linear equations in 2 variables,
- Sine a, Cos a, Tan a when 0° < a < 90°, Sin, Cos
- Tan values of important angles like 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°,
- Simple trigonometric identities,
- Trigonometric tables
- Distance and height
- Plane & plane figures,
- Lines, angles,
- Important theorems (like angle property based),
- Similar triangles,
- Congruency of triangles,
- Medians & Altitudes,
- Parallel lines
- Areas of circles,
- The surface area of cuboids,
- Cones, Cylinders,
- Graphical representation of frequency polygons
- Tabulation of statistical data,
- Pie charts,
- Measures of central tendency,
- Bar graphs,
Preparation Tips for the CDS Exam
All the candidates are preparing hard for the CDS exam, but the stress of exams getting near makes us nervous and under confident.
We have given some preparation tips for the CDS exam to ease your work and accelerate your preparation. Check them out!
- All the candidates must be aware of the latest pattern and syllabus of the CDS exam.
- Go for a strategic preparation while keeping the topics and their weightage in mind.
- Candidates must solve CDS previous year papers to understand the level of questions.
- Make short notes and keep revising the syllabus.